- Watch out for non "said" dialog tags, e.g. "You suck," she sniffed.
- Watch out for protagonist self-description, e.g. running fingers through "red" hair and casting "brown" eyes about.
- Watch out for super-overdone cliches, e.g. a female monster/alien/ghost/vampire/werewolf/etc. kills her husband/lover/one-night-stand/etc.
- Please make sense. If you read the first page of your story to your husband/lover/one-night-stand are they going to say "Huh?" or "What happens next?"
- Please be aware of the laws of physics and do not violate them--especially if you're writing science fiction (unless you have a good reason).
Personally, I advocate stories with original ideas at our production meetings. What would I love to see? I'd love to see more stories with unique voice.
Keep those stories coming!