22 June 2009

Writing on Reading: Sunshine


 I've mentioned before that I don't get too excited about vampire novels, but I read Robin McKinley's Sunshine because of some recommendations. I liked several aspects of Sunshine over other vampire tales I've read. In McKinley's world, vampires are much different than humans--they move differently, look less than human, and act strange. This is better than vampires who are essentially human except they have super abilities and drink blood. Also, McKinley's novel takes place in an alternate world that is quite different than ours. She's developed alternative history and culture that's both interesting and unique. McKinley is also a talented writer with a deft touch and an enjoyable voice, which adds a great deal to the book.

On the other hand, the novel goes over ground that feels tired to me. The issue of how could a vampire and human actually get along or . . . actually love each other does not interest me all that much. Also, the awe and mystery is missing from vampires simply because we've all heard about them. So, if you like urban fantasy involving vampires, Sunshine is a good choice. But if you're already eating lots of garlic to keep vampire stories away, steer clear.

5 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

For me, Sunshine is one of McKinley's best novels. I love that book and have read it about ten times now. And the reason I love it is because it's a character-driven book that's very internal. I like books that are about the characters' processes the way this one is.

I can see how it wouldn't offer much that appeals to someone who doesn't care for vampire stories, though. But these vampires are, at least, not romantic!

Eric said...

This might be an interesting read for me, since I also am tired of the usual storylines for vampires. Thanks for this post.

David E. Hughes said...

I agree, writtenwyrd, that the book is character-driven and internal. Certainly, that is one of the strong points of the novel. I can see how there are many who would enjoy this book.

Deb S said...

I don't read a lot of urban fantasy, but I liked Sunshine. I think the deft world-building and the character driven plot appealed to my epic fangirl nature. Oh, and the fact that McKinley is a wonderful writer doesn't hurt either:)

Betsy Dornbusch said...

Sounds like another one I'd better borrow from you...