29 July 2009

Writing on Reading: Conspiracies: A Repairman Jack Novel


Conspiracies is the second book in the "Repairman Jack" series of novels by F. Paul Wilson. I confess I had not read The Tomb, which is the first book in the series. It was one of those situations where I was at the library, I needed a book, I had little time, and Conspiracies was available. Even not knowing the full backstory, I was impressed with the novel. It is one of those difficult to classify genre novels--not sci-fi or fantasy, if you ask the publishers. Some call it horror or a "paranormal thriller." The book takes place in our world, but has elements that don't exist in our world. However, they are not really "magic" based and not really "science" based. Also, no vampires or werewolves. (Yeah!) Hence, the genre dilemma.

Whatever the genre, I thought the novel worked really well, and I plan to go back and read the first one. The protagonist is interesting and likable, and the plot was unique and tightly written. My only real criticism is that there were a few points in the book that lagged and seemed like filler, but that's a minor nit.

I confess I have another, more personal, reason I enjoyed Conspiracies. The novel I'm trying to sell is also one of those difficult to define genre novels, and this book is the closest I've seen to mine. Proof that people out there read this stuff!

1 comment:

lesleylsmith said...

Excellent discovery, Editor Dave. Good luck placing your novel--it sounds intriguing. :)