- On average, authors sold 7.7 short stories before selling the novel.
- Of our 246 authors, 116 sold their first novel with zero short fiction sales.
- But Jim says, I do believe that short fiction sales can help an author.
- only 1 author out of 246 self-published their book and went on to sell that book to a professional publisher.
- This does not mean self-publishing can never succeed, or is never a viable option...However, for those hoping to leverage self-published book sales into a commercially published breakout book (a la Eragon), the numbers just aren’t in your favor.
Very interesting! I look forward to reading more from Jim and I will post it here.
The link is here: www.jimchines.com.
Any comments from blog readers on how they broke in?