I'd meant to post the 2011 Nebula Award Winners as I am wont to do. So here they are:
- Novel Winner: Among Others, Jo Walton (Tor)
- Novella Winner: ”The Man Who Bridged the Mist,” Kij Johnson (Asimov’s Science Fiction, October/November 2011)
- Novelette Winner: ”What We Found,” Geoff Ryman (The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, September/October 2011)
- Short Story Winner: ”The Paper Menagerie,” Ken Liu (The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, March/April 2011)
- Ray Bradbury Award for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation Winner: Doctor Who: “The Doctor’s Wife,” Neil Gaiman (writer), Richard Clark (director) (BBC Wales)
- Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy Book Winner: The Freedom Maze, Delia Sherman (Big Mouth House)
- 2011 DAMON KNIGHT GRAND MASTER AWARD: Connie Willis
But speaking of Neil Gaiman, in the meantime, I got very distracted by his May 17 excellent commencement address at The University of the Arts. Here are the bullet points:
- When you start out on a career in the arts you have no idea what you are doing.
- If you have an idea of what you want to make, what you were put here to do, then just go and do that.
- When you start off, you have to deal with the problems of failure.
- I hope you'll make mistakes. If you're making mistakes, it means you're out there doing something.
- While you are at it, make your art. Do the stuff that only you can do.
- So make up your own rules.
- So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom, and if you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise, and then just behave like they would.