On Writers in The Storm Blog, Kristen Lamb explains What Star Trek Can Teach Us About Great Writing--the 2009 J.J.Abrams movie. Electric Spec readers and writers should enjoy topics such as
- Star Trek proved that imperfect characters resonate with audiences.
- Star Trek perfected showing, not telling.
- Star Trek employed parsimony.
- Star Trek showed character via relativity.
- Star Trek relied on character and story.
- World-building is something a writer must employ to assist or accentuate the core conflict.
The president of Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers (RMFW), Mark Stevens, talks about Tall Tales: Rocky Mt. Fiction Writers Conference in Denver. I agree with Mark. The RMFW conference is awesome! Check it out Sept. 7,8,9 2012 in Denver if you can.