- Writing is a kind of self psychoanalysis. Use your one-of-a-kind psyche to guide you to original unique stories, subjects, themes and approaches. Don't try to imitate other authors. Don't chase the market.
- Don't be ignorant about other authors. Read!
- When you get stuck in your writing, consider having a conversation with yourself. What happens next? Why? So what? and the like.
- Plot should equal conflict plus motivation.
- Plot and character should be intimately related.
- Write what you're passionate about! If you don't know about something, research it. Have adventures; live your life. A well-lived life has a lot material for fiction.
- A writing career will have many peaks and valleys; keep your perspective.
How about you? What good writing advice have you gotten?
The submission deadline for the May 2015 issue is midnight U.S. MDT, April 15, 2015!
Get those stories in!