09 August 2022

From Author Voorhees

We are excited to feature "The Tailor of Gloomwick" by Author Lisa Voorhees in the awesome August 2022 issue of Electric Spec. Lisa was kind enough to send along some comments about the story.

At their heart, stories are images translated into words. My inspiration for "The Tailor of Gloomwick" began with a Norman Rockwell type drawing of a tailor seated in his workshop, mending hearts with a needle and thread. I sat with the image for several weeks, allowing the story to unfold in my mind.

Gradually, the characters began to come into view, followed by pieces of the plot. Once I was ready to write, the first version of the story did not transpire from the point of view of the Tailor, but rather Louis, his future apprentice.

Early critiques on the story came in. I was disappointed to discover the story did not have the resonance I was hoping for and that I thought I had worked hard to achieve. I went back to the drawing board. Determined to portray the story as I experienced it so deeply in my heart, I brainstormed slavishly over how to convey the spark of inspiration I had gleaned from the drawing.

And then it came to me.

Although Louis was a prominent character, he wasn't the central figure in the story. The Tailor of Gloomwick was. The story belonged to him.

The story underwent a major rewrite, and the current "Tailor of Gloomwick" was born.

I will leave you with this little piece of writing advice: if you are having trouble achieving the kind of impact you want your story to have, try telling it from another character's perspective. It may be all the change your story needs to shine.




Thanks, Lisa! Very interesting!
Be sure to check out "The Tailor of Gloomwick" and all the rest of the stories on August 31, 2022!

No comments: