27 February 2024

From February Author Yelinek

We are pleased to announce one of our featured stories in the fabulous February 2024 issue of Electric Spec is "Neither Snow nor Rain nor Gloom" by Kathryn Yelinek. Kathryn was kind enough to send us some comments about the story:

Back when I was in college, I studied French. Now that I've been out of college for a number of years, I wanted to pick up the language again. There's a magazine that specializes in easy articles in French for native English speakers. Each issue focuses on a specific region of France or overseas French territory. One issue focused on RĂ©union, an island in the Indian Ocean. It featured an article about the postal carriers. Because RĂ©union is so remote, the mail carriers there walk their entire routes, almost a hundred miles a week.

I found this fascinating. The article focused both on the rigors and dedication of the postal carriers as well as the natural beauty of the land and the connection the carriers have to the people they serve. Me being me, I immediately thought of Fairy and what a postal carrier in some of the wilder regions of Fairy might encounter. I also remembered the dedication of my local postal workers during the pandemic. I wanted to honor them with something a little lighter, because many of my stories focus on heavier topics such as loss or loneliness. I'm pleased with how "Neither Snow nor Rain nor Gloom" turned out.


Interesting! Thanks, Kathryn! Be sure to check out all the new stories on February 28, 2024!

No comments: