01 May 2009

Creative Thinking

You all, if you read this blog, if you submit to our ezine, if you are writing at all, you're engaging in your own creative process. Not only that, if you're reading this blog and submitting to the magazine, or just even reading the magazine, you're on the leading edge of the creative process. (Incidentally, readers engage in that too. Reading is a very creative endeavor.)

Within the laser-focus of speculative short fiction, I still view e-zines as the leading edge vehicle to get our short stories into the hands of readers. Most of our readers are as comfortable with computers as they are with fireflies the size of dragons and spaceship galleys that split atoms and come up with coffee. Reading online has almost become a security blanket thing. To me, it means there's something always there, always new, always changing. Inertia unnerves me.

Story is among the world's oldest art forms. Some even say there are no new stories. But there are a lot of ways to think and be creative within in the confines of story. We rewrite history and old tales. We spin ancient themes and apply them to today. Some stories are based on bald-face curiosity, and some on tangled intrigue. But at it's best, speculative fiction has always led the herd down unknown paths.

Go here for all the forms of creative thought.

Point is, there's no wrong way to go about making a story.There is no right way to come up with an idea. Not only that, there are no wrong ideas. Some have been used before, of course, which sometimes makes people think they're wrong. But, referring back to my last post, if you infuse your work with you and your own worldview, it'll be new and creative. Easier said than done. But all you have to do is take a look at our slush to realize it's so worth it.

Keep 'em coming!

5 comments:

lesleylsmith said...

You have dragon-sized fireflies and a spaceship galley that splits atoms and makes coffee? I have to see them! You need to invite me over. :)

I really enjoyed that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies pic, too! Excellent!

Uh...are you inviting blog-readers to look at our slush? If so, how are you going to manage that?

Betsy Dornbusch said...

I was speaking figuratively, of course.

Deb S said...

-Uh...are you inviting blog-readers to look at our slush? If so, how are you going to manage that?-

Leslie and Betsy- No worries. I can just look at my own sh… er slush if the mood strikes me. Hide the women and children. And the editors!

David E. Hughes said...

I love this inspiration role you've been on lately! All of us need it, whether we know it or not. I also like the pic and the label. I tried using labels awhile back. They didn't catch on, but I'll go back to them now.

Betsy Dornbusch said...

Re: inspiration. Enjoy it while it lasts. You never know when I'll get crabby again. :)

Deb--we all have our own piles of s--slush. You're in good company here.