Editorial Gremlin's Seven Green Goo Rules
- Figure out who your protagonist is and make me care about him/her/it.
- Make sure there is conflict. Bonus points if you make things really horrible for the person in #1 above.
- Cut the crap. Write three drafts of your story, making it shorter each time. Send me the short one.
- If there's no dialogue on the first page of the story, you better have a good reason.
- Lengthy descriptions of a fantasy world make me yawn. I fall dead asleep when they are in the first two or more paragraphs of the story. (The same rule applies to backstory).
- If you are going to choose only 1 physical trait to describe a character, don't choose hair or eye color.
- Get paid for a payoff. Give me an ending that brings the story together or rams the point home, and I'll try to get those idiot Electric Spec editors to buy it.