- If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it.--Elmore Leonard
- Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.--Anton Chekhov
- If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.--George Orwell
- Kill your darlings, kill your darlings, even when it breaks your egocentric little scribbler's heart, kill your darlings.--Stephen King
- Remember: when people tell you something's wrong or doesn't work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.--Neil Gaiman
- A short story must have a single mood and every sentence must build towards it.--Edgar Allan Poe
- Start as close to the end as possible.--Kurt Vonnegut
In other news, our fabulous new August 31, 2012 issue of Electric Spec is coming along swimmingly! Be sure to check it out next week!