Bottom line: we have a backlog of slush right now and we know it. We're addressing it.
I've been doing my part to wade through the slush pile and consequently I have some tips...
- Do submit your story in *rtf format as requested.
- Do remember to attach the file.
- Don't use any weird formatting such as unusual colors, symbols, strike-outs, etc.
- Regarding your cover letter:
- Don't tell us you have no sales.
- If you did sell to Electric Spec, mention it!
- Don't ask for critique.
- Don't send a follow-up email asking if we got your story. We get hundreds of stories and having to answer queries about your query just bogs down the process.
- In your story, do show us stuff--rather than just telling.
- If your story is super-long it's going to be less desirable (we have to edit it!)
- Do write a story with speculative elements.
- Your story shouldn't be about "business as usual." Something unusual should happen.
Thank you for submitting!