How does an author get their work published? By grabbing the editor. Why is this relevant? Because editors want the stories to grab readers. They are myriad ways to grab an editor, but in general it does need to be done on the first page of a manuscript.
Here are some grab-worthy sentences you might recognize:
- Penelope was fading fast, but I agreed to meet her nonetheless.
- After my installation in Gloria, I am silent.
- He returns on a Thursday after the full moon.
- But there were no hummingbirds.
- "Will you put that bloody thing down and talk to me?"
The methods differ significantly but the result is the same: I'm grabbed.
Good luck with your grabbing!