29 July 2008

Some Don't's and Do's...

I've been working through my submissions box. First of all, thank you all so much for submitting. Electric Spec really appreciates it. I have been impressed with the quality of the submissions. However, I do have some general constructive criticisms...
  • Watch out for non "said" dialog tags, e.g. "You suck," she sniffed.
  • Watch out for protagonist self-description, e.g. running fingers through "red" hair and casting "brown" eyes about.
  • Watch out for super-overdone cliches, e.g. a female monster/alien/ghost/vampire/werewolf/etc. kills her husband/lover/one-night-stand/etc.
  • Please make sense. If you read the first page of your story to your husband/lover/one-night-stand are they going to say "Huh?" or "What happens next?"
  • Please be aware of the laws of physics and do not violate them--especially if you're writing science fiction (unless you have a good reason).

Personally, I advocate stories with original ideas at our production meetings. What would I love to see? I'd love to see more stories with unique voice.

Keep those stories coming!

1 comment:

ssas said...

Please be aware of the laws of physics and do not violate them--especially if you're writing science fiction.

THAT, my friends, is very good advice, from Lesley Smith, Physicist. :D