16 October 2008

Writing on Reading: Grimspace

My favorite thing happened last week: I discovered a new author! While perusing the new books section at the library, I came across Grimspace by Ann Aguirre. From the official blurb: "By all accounts, Sirantha Jax should have burned out years ago…
As the carrier of a rare gene, Jax has the ability to jump ships through grimspace—a talent which cuts into her life expectancy, but makes her a highly prized navigator for the Corp. But then the ship she’s navigating crash-lands, and she’s accused of killing everyone on board." etc. etc. Needless to say, when she busts out of prison hijinks ensue... I won't ruin it for you.

This book was excellent for many reasons: the protagonist is flawed and sympathetic, it starts in the middle of the action and the plot moves at a brisk pace, the big-idea (grimspace and the protag's special ability) is intriguing, and the prose is very smooth. I heard this was Ms. Aguirre's first novel. I'm not sure if that's true, but we should all write so well.
I have nothing negative to say about this book. Wait, I thought of something: it was too short. :) Check it out. Or maybe you already read it? If so, what did YOU think?

In other Electric Spec news...

Sorry I haven't been blogging much, putting together the new issue is a lot of work. The new issue will be out on October 31! It looks really good, too.

Early next week I will blog about a very interesting interview...

Keep sending us stories for our first 2009 issue! (Hey, Editors, we need to finalize the publication dates for 2009.)

4 comments:

Ann Aguirre said...

Thanks for the lovely review. What a nice surprise when I pop my head out of my writing cave. The second book in the series is out, and I'd be happy to mail you a signed copy if you'd like one.

If so, just email me. I'm easy to find. (www.annaguirre.com)

Anonymous said...

I, too, have heard great things about your book, Ann. Can't wait to read it now.

How nice of you to stop by!

lesleylsmith said...

Gosh, how exciting, our first 'Writing on Reading' author visit. :) Ann (and everyone else!), I hope you'll check out the new Electric Spec issue on Oct. 31. FYI-Betsy, you would love Grimspace.

Todd Bradley said...

I've got this book sitting on my dining room table waiting to be read. I just heard a recommendation for this book last weekend at the MileHiCon, and immediately ordered a copy from Amazon.