16 March 2011

Update

When I read slush, I read to a certain date. Granted, that's affected by how many stories run me up to a particular date. I read to Feb 1 last session. So, our slush is caught up to February 1 (and there are really just a few stories left between Feb1-15), so you should have heard from us on any slush sent to us prior to February. If not, feel free to resubmit.

We like to keep our response time at about a month ideally, but our slush pile is growing by the issue. Not a bad thing--great for us, actually! It makes our job tougher, but the magazine is better for it. I think we're running, realistically, 6-8 weeks right now. (Again, I'm usually the slow one.)

If you end up in Hold For Voting, you can be happy with that as an accomplishment in and of itself. Competition is very stiff. And if you don't, well, please know competition is stiff. =)  And try, try again. I'm a huge proponent of that. Don't give up on yourself or your stories.

Happy storytelling...

5 comments:

Martin Willoughby said...

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again...just try a different way."

Or the old standby,

"If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving's not for you."

lesleylsmith said...

Not to contradict Editor Betsy, but I have a few stories in my inbox from Jan that I'm still pondering. :( Apologies, authors, if you are getting impatient.

Matthew Warner said...

Your zine looks great, and I'm thinking about submitting. Just one question about the first line of your editorial policy, which says, "before publication we may edit the story for length or readability. However, we always remain true to the spirit of the story."

Do you clear all content changes with the author?

betsy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David E. Hughes said...

Matthew-- See my upcoming post.