21 November 2023

From November Artist Quinn

In November we're excited to feature another piece of art from Brian Malachy Quinn, "Of Mice and Men." Brian was kind enought send along a few words about his piece...

"Of Mice and Men" was inspired by my early days as a children’s book illustrator where I got my start as an illustrator. Of course, you do lots of cute animals wearing clothes and engage in anthropomorphism. I took it to the limits here as you do with speculative fiction and put our raging rodent in armor and made him fierce. Illustrating children’s books severely limits what you can do as an artist and my passion was in speculative fiction which when I went to basically shut the door on illustrating in the children’s genre – but so be it. I’m quite content with where I am today.

The background here had to be unique and eye catching as is my calling card. Whereas the title refers to the futility of a nobler idea to the overpowering by a trite concept such as vanity - we have the banality that mice can be vanquished by men easily, but maybe all will be turned on its head and here our mouse can not only stand up to any mortal but be the better of any homo sapien on the battlefield. Will future evolution or accidental DNA manipulation in a lab undo the current status quo? Maybe not such a bad thing considering the state of the world today.



Thanks, Brian! Very interesting! Without further ado, here's a tiny sneak peek at our cover art for the November 2023 issue of Electric Spec:

No comments: