29 August 2023

From Author Alapati

We are excited to announce one of our featured stories in the awesome August 2023 Electric Spec is "The Last Deal" by Sophia Alapati. Sophia was kind enough to send us some comments about the story:

The Last Deal was brewed from three ingredients: a queer witch, a powerful ex, and a noir setting. I intended to write this for an anthology of positive queer witch stories, but by the time I finished writing, the submission deadline had passed and I had written something a little too dark and twisty to fit the bill.

As an author who is more pantser than plotter, all I knew when I sat down to write was that protagonist Cas was salvaging his life in the aftermath of a tortured history with a god. I wanted to explore the idea of trying to escape a relationship with something that feels omnipotent--whether that’s a religion, a job, or another person. I also love concocting magic systems, and had fun researching chemical and symbolic properties of potential potion ingredients.

The genre was the final component that made this piece come together. To me, a warlock--etymologically from the Old English wærloga, meaning "oathbreaker"--fits right in with the noir setting, where we often see a morally dubious protagonist haunted by the deeds of their past. Noir also gives me the chance to write lush similes, which I'll never turn down.

My best little piece of writing advice for fiction writers is to read nonfiction. All my best short stories have been sparked or made richer by learning about things from breeding apples to bank heists to immortal mushrooms. So go forth, read, and stay curious!



Interesting! Thanks, Sophia! Be sure to check out all the new stories on Aug 31, 2023!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to reading this one!

Eclectic Pursuits said...

Thank you for explaining how The Last Deal came to life for you. I have a different level of appreciation for a story when I know something of it's background. I think that reading non-fiction is excellent advice for writers.
That works in reverse, too, when fiction is so evocative that it drives the reader to explore a subject in detail. I spent some time reading about apple tree propagation after reading one of your stories. I look forward to reading The Last Deal.

thistlehouse said...

Great world-building within this short story! I'd love to hear an audio version narrated in that distinctive 1950's noir-style voice. Also appreciate the historical accuracy you include in the smallest details.